Friday, November 13, 2009

Warli Painting

Warli art is an ancient Indian folk painting of a Maharashtrian tribe called Warli.

This folk painting drawn by tribals on mud walls. Rice paste and straw are the main materials used for making Warli paintings.
Their major designs include the harvest season,celebration, wedding, rituals and births. The Warli houses also see a pattern in decoration and designs. The Warli art has a special characteristic of representing the humble life of the Warli tribe.


The trademark of Warli paintings is the use of geometric designs such as triangles, circles, squares, dots and crooked lines are used to depict human figures, animal figures, houses, crops etc.

Warli painting needs only one colour WHITE.
I tried this on a pot. This is my first warli painting, here I retained original red mud colour of pot and using white fabric paint i painted one of the warli dance form.



Hope you all liked this.

2 comments:

  1. I am the new proud owner of the pot.. ;)
    I must mention here that I am very happy to have an indeginious art form decorating my house, of course Thanks to Gayathri.

    ReplyDelete