Saturday, October 24, 2009

Diya Painting

Diya is small traditional lamp made up of mud or clay. Ghee or oil is used as the fuel and cotton wool as the wick. Illuminitating Diyas outside houses is the most common scene in deepavali. We call this in kannada 'Pranathi'. Different kinds of diyas available in the maraket and in a different shapes even in shape of Ganesha, paravathi too. With increasing competition and due to the popularity of candles, diya is now available in a variety of material, and shapes. Designer diyas have also been introduced in the stores.
I gone mad while shopping for diyas I just picked many diyas whichever come in my way. I brought most of the simple clay diya so that I can paint and decorate myself in home. These are some of my diya collections.
Diya decoration is common practice during festival. you can decorate these diyas with miror, kundan, lace, stones, dried flowers. Here I painted these diyas with acrylic color, pearl fabric colours, any one can do this, following are some of the diyas I coloured with some basic colours.










I really enjoyed colouring these diyas, if you are not good at painting, you can even decorate with sticking a mirror, stones, kundan, lace, when you light a lamp nice sparkle will be around the house.


Too much of diya painting..... so I will come up with some more.

Hope you all liked this.

Comments please. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very good painting indeed........
    creativity makes you do marvels out of small things

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gayathri,

    I am really Very impressed by your art works too good keep going........... u rock

    ReplyDelete